5 replies to this topic

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 1114 posts
  • warwickshire

Hi people,

Help if possible please.

My daughter and 3 grandchildren are approx 300 miles away way down in Cornwall. We usually visit them around every 4/6 weeks so this is difficult times, and we all miss each other like crazy.

We have android phones so I am thinking Google Duo - it is a doddle to set up - already done it with my, and wife's, phone today, works great.

As I see it it works either off Broadband (wifi) or via data, if wifi not available.

The family in Cornwall have limited broadband and data. I have unlimited broadband and plenty of data

I cannot seem to find a definite answer from an internet search

My question is, if I make the video call, does the call only "take" my broadband and/or wifi, allowance or does it also take some of the family broadband and/or data allowance as well.

Thank you 

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Robbo

Robbo
  • Club Member
  • 4200 posts
  • Forster, NSW, Australia
  • Rob
  • Owns:ST225 RSlump

It's two way data. All the connected phones in that conversation are running off data on their end, be it wifi or cellular.

jboy

jboy
  • Club Member
  • 910 posts
  • south wales
  • JOHN

Hi people,
Help if possible please.
My daughter and 3 grandchildren are approx 300 miles away way down in Cornwall. We usually visit them around every 4/6 weeks so this is difficult times, and we all miss each other like crazy.
We have android phones so I am thinking Google Duo - it is a doddle to set up - already done it with my, and wife's, phone today, works great.

As I see it it works either off Broadband (wifi) or via data, if wifi not available.

The family in Cornwall have limited broadband and data. I have unlimited broadband and plenty of data

I cannot seem to find a definite answer from an internet search

My question is, if I make the video call, does the call only "take" my broadband and/or wifi, allowance or does it also take some of the family broadband and/or data allowance as well.

Thank you

I think EE have a system where you can give them some of your data

kiemuloly

kiemuloly
  • Club Member
  • 2235 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Focus ST MK2
I don't know duo specifically, but if their phone is downloading your call data, they need data to do so.

As mentioned the might be a way too share data though

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 1114 posts
  • warwickshire

Thank you all for your replies.

I can see how it works now

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13024 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

As my partner and I don't live together and we both have an Echo device with a screen, so we've been using that to make video calls to each other. Sure I remember reading that at least some mobile providers give data exceptions for some apps, meaning that whilst using that app you don't accrue any data usage - might be worth looking ino?

• trevorb likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users