• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

gino666123

gino666123
  • Club Member
  • 119 posts
  • paul
  • Owns:Mk3 ST3 Estate

Well been to tescos , morrisons , asda's , aldi , Iidl and local co-op and Nisa and not one of them have any Toilet Rolls / Pasta / Hand gel / Soap /Sanitizer/Tinned soup ect..

Why oh why have the Goverment / Companies not rationed sooner? We have created ,ourselves a monster situation of panick buying/hoarding.- instead of buying what you need ?

just hoping petrol is not next at 32mpg , im going no where...

Even read about a fella getting mugged outside a ..... carpark for his loo rolls.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Freddy42

Freddy42
  • Club Member
  • 81 posts
  • Ashby de la Zouch
  • Freddy
  • Owns:2014 ST250

The country's gone totally mad.  Tesco at 0815 on a normal Tuesday morning, about 10 of us strolling round.  This morning, a madhouse, the place was crammed, every trolley showing packs of loo rolls.  Absolutely crazy.

kiemuloly

kiemuloly
  • Club Member
  • 2235 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Focus ST MK2
32mpg, averages mk2 owners only dream of (if they enjoy driving anyway)

I can only assume the guy filling up cans last time I filled up was getting himself some extra rations... Might not be a bad idea given the price ATM though lol

I was disappointed to not find any chicken on my last outing.

I blame the media. There's 3 cases in my county... And although there may be more, as people keep pointing out to me, they're not more serious than the flu so... Who cares?

But it's the end of the world. Best stock up on anti bacterial sprays to combat the virus.

Good thing people not dumb dumb. Oh. Hang on...
  • Jason, Geebs and caprixpack like this

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2219 posts
I noticed the roads were not as busy as usual today.

WelshGeoff

WelshGeoff

South Wales Regional Rep

• Regional Rep
  • 6951 posts
  • God's Country
  • Geoff
  • Owns:Sabre 400R

Well been to tescos , morrisons , asda's , aldi , Iidl and local co-op and Nisa and not one of them have any Toilet Rolls / Pasta / Hand gel / Soap /Sanitizer/Tinned soup ect..

Why oh why have the Goverment / Companies not rationed sooner? We have created ,ourselves a monster situation of panick buying/hoarding.- instead of buying what you need ?

just hoping petrol is not next at 32mpg , im going no where...

Even read about a fella getting mugged outside a ..... carpark for his loo rolls.

I can't imagine fuel will be a problem, in fact there will probably be a surplus when we're prevented from travelling anywhere   :brow:

• Rab ST likes this

gino666123

gino666123
  • Club Member
  • 119 posts
  • paul
  • Owns:Mk3 ST3 Estate
And with the government injecting £330 billion.. to an already £4 trillion debt god help us..

NickFST3

NickFST3

Previously nickst500

• Club Member
  • 5116 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Nick
  • Owns:Mk3.5 ST3

They have just told everyone not directly involved with steel production at British Steel to go & work from home. So that is me with a 4 to 12 week 'holiday' then.....................

Mad!!!

gbgaz

gbgaz
  • Club Member
  • 231 posts

The whole situation is a total farce.... if everyone just stayed calm and bought what they needed it would be ok....I work in a chilled warehouse for a well known supermarket chain and the volume of food going through the place is out of this world... tomorrow we are expecting volumes exceeding christmas!! The suppliers cant keep up with our demand and are taking people on to keep up.....when it all calms down cue job losses as no one is buying the volume of goods they previously were!

And loo rolls.... why the complete obsession with them by people?? It's claimed that a runny botty isn't one of the symptoms!!

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1148 posts
The bog roll thing is, as I see it a fear of not having something. The sheep see people panic buying something then feel they need to do the same. It's not the virus that will :censored: us over as I think we'll all get it (albeit mildly for the most part), it's the selfishness and stupidity of people that will cause the most problems.
I'm already in isolation, and I'm glad I'm out of it all and don't have to deal with or hear about all the :censored: going on out there.

middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis
  • Club Member
  • 1162 posts
  • Worcestershire
  • Simon
  • Owns:Focus ST3

Its always interesting as to what people are trying to achieve. Now, i did panic buy 2 weeks ago. I am a sole carer for my 2 elderly parents, mother at 91, and father at 90 with advanced dementia. If both myself and wife, who works for the NHS, had to self isolate, medium risk of that happening with wifes work, who would provide food for my parents? So yes, hands up, I filled a large trolley with an extra 2 week supply of food for them, including a large supply of the elusive toilet rolls for my doubly incontinent father. So although there is undoubtedly desperate greed and stupidity out there, be careful before you judge all. There may be a very good reason.

• mrmetallica, Rod S and gino666123 like this

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1148 posts
I'm just going by what I've seen myself, last time I was in a supermarket just to do my usual weekly shop it was absolutely ridiculous. There's buying a bit extra then there's taking the :censored: :censored: People with 3+ 24 packs of toilet roll (not just the odd one or two people either) and baby wipes (i guess the people with babies and young kids don't need them).

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22673 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

I'm wondering what the intent of the panic buyers actually is.

One off stocking up exercise to create a short term buffer for isolation or are they going to continually empty supermarket shelves until their houses/garages/sheds are stuffed floor to ceiling with goods that they will likely never use?

Rod S

Rod S
  • Forum User
  • 232 posts
  • Rural Suffolk
  • Rod
  • Owns:ST3 250 Mk3

As Simon (@ middleagecrisis) says, you have to be careful about demonising everyone.

My wife has terminal cancer and is on chemo so is one of the ones now banned from going out.

I foresaw these movement restrictions and subsequent panic buying happening three weeks ago so did my stockpiling back then on the basis that I might also not be able to go out in the near future.

On her last day out yesterday - to collect her next months chemo tablets which have to be dispensed from an oncology unit so a trip to our local cottage hospital which has a "once a week" outreach unit - she wanted to stop at the Co-op near to it for some personal bits.

It was just madness, we couldn't even get into the disabled parking bays because people (without blue badges) were just using them to dash into the store and grab what they could.

So yes, 95% of the population are arrogant morons, but spare a thought for the 5% who have valid reasons.

• middleagecrisis likes this

kiemuloly

kiemuloly
  • Club Member
  • 2235 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Focus ST MK2
There will always be people who genuinely have reasons or need to, but they will always be in the minority. And the majority make it harder for them, that's why I'm calling out the stupidity of all this.

I couldn't care less if you bought a months supply just in case. That still leaves plenty for your average Joe. But average Joe buys a months supply and there's nothing left for those who need it...

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1148 posts
I do believe that no one person has more of a right to basic necessities than anyone else, which Is why I find it so disgusting that people out there are trying to get as much as they can. On the medication front, my 5 year old is type one diabetic and trying to get insulin, needle tips for his injection pen, the sensors for his monitoring system (which only last two weeks) has been a nightmare. We usually get these on the NHS due to it being a lifelong illness and him being only 4 when he was diagnosed, but my wife had to go to the asda pharmacy and buy 2 of these sensors at £50 each as his prescription couldn't be met due to people "stocking up" rather than just carrying on as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users