Return of the homologation special ! - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Return of the homologation special !

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3996 posts
Toyota GR Yaris revealed in full - return of the homologation special.

https://www.evo.co.u...ogation-special

This is what us rally fans have been waiting for ! :yep:
  • scobie140 likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

AlexDH

AlexDH
  • Club Member
  • 2453 posts
  • Alex
  • Owns:ST225
I would buy this, it's a shame all manufacturers don't do a homologation anymore :(

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2561 posts
I like this sentence.
Power is then transmitted via a six-speed manual transmission (there is no automatic or dual-clutch option available) 

A proper drivers car for once, just a shame about the looks, not a pretty car at all, but I suppose you can't have everything.

scobie140

scobie140
  • Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Mk3.5

Toyota GR Yaris revealed in full - return of the homologation special.

https://www.evo.co.u...ogation-special

This is what us rally fans have been waiting for ! :yep:

Would be nice if other manufacturers followed Toyota's example, the hot hatch market has been pretty bland on the whole for a while.

• AlexDH and Noisy Boy like this

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2561 posts
I agree.
Why have an auto/dsg in a "drivers" car, nothing better than stirring a manual box on a spirited drive. I want full control, not the other way round.

A lot of these show boys with thier dsg/launch control gubbins probably couldn't drive a manual car properly.
  • FastEddie likes this

scobie140

scobie140
  • Club Member
  • 87 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Mk3.5

I agree.
Why have an auto/dsg in a "drivers" car, nothing better than stirring a manual box on a spirited drive. I want full control, not the other way round.

A lot of these show boys with thier dsg/launch control gubbins probably couldn't drive a manual car properly.

It becomes a point and shoot experience rather than "driving" the car 

• FastEddie likes this

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13112 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

I agree.

Having owned an automatic for a few months I can tell you I can still be in full control. I have flappy paddles to override any gear choice, I have sports mode that holds onto the gears until almost red line and I have a fully manual mode where the computer will only kick in if I'm about to blow things up. I know not all auto cars have these options but be wary of painting all auto cars with the same brush :)

• trevorb likes this

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 2956 posts

Love this Yaris - proper mental spec.

Hopefully it'll be fully homologated, win the WRC and other manufacturers will follow...

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2561 posts

Having owned an automatic for a few months I can tell you I can still be in full control. I have flappy paddles to override any gear choice, I have sports mode that holds onto the gears until almost red line and I have a fully manual mode where the computer will only kick in if I'm about to blow things up. I know not all auto cars have these options but be wary of painting all auto cars with the same brush :)

I used to work at a car rental company and a vehicle bodyshop and have driven pretty much every car there is up until 2 years ago, it was just my opinion of how the cars felt with auto/dsg/flappy paddles, but you mention the "computer" will hold gears for you instead of just leaving you alone. Another benefit of a manual car is that in icy conditions they're easier to get moving again if you come unstuck.
Before buying the Focus I looked at a 335i auto but felt the auto box strangled the power too much and changed before I wanted it to, Sorry but its a manual for me everytime.
  • Focus V8 likes this

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3996 posts

I had to laugh a while back when a guy in an Audi S3 didnt like me staying with him... so he thought his 4WD would have me at the next lights.

At the next lights I was behind him, but when they went green it look him sooo long to sort out his launch control I went round him and away !

Manual for me every time.

• Focus V8 and Noisy Boy like this

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3996 posts

BTW, Elfyn Evans is currently leading Rally Monte Carlo in the Yaris WRC... https://www.wrc.com/en/

-World_ElfynEvans-Montecarlo-2020_001_2b

• PaulG, scobie140 and Noisy Boy like this

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13112 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

I used to work at a car rental company and a vehicle bodyshop and have driven pretty much every car there is up until 2 years ago, it was just my opinion of how the cars felt with auto/dsg/flappy paddles, but you mention the "computer" will hold gears for you instead of just leaving you alone. Another benefit of a manual car is that in icy conditions they're easier to get moving again if you come unstuck.
Before buying the Focus I looked at a 335i auto but felt the auto box strangled the power too much and changed before I wanted it to, Sorry but its a manual for me everytime.

I was wary of automatic cars, with this being my first. But having lived with it for a few months I actually think it's better - I have the option to just let it do it all for me, which is a leg saver in traffic, I have various modes which change how the engine and gearbox respond for when I want to drive a bit more enthusiastically, a 'slippery' mode for icy conditions which changes the ratio of power to throttle position and then I have a fully manual mode but without the clutch. Seems winner winner to me, although I realise others may not think so :)

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2561 posts

I was wary of automatic cars, with this being my first. But having lived with it for a few months I actually think it's better - I have the option to just let it do it all for me, which is a leg saver in traffic, I have various modes which change how the engine and gearbox respond for when I want to drive a bit more enthusiastically, a 'slippery' mode for icy conditions which changes the ratio of power to throttle position and then I have a fully manual mode but without the clutch. Seems winner winner to me, although I realise others may not think so :)

I suppose that's fine if you can afford a car with those luxuries, I have owned 2 Autos in my driving history, the leg saving was a plus point on my commute and I could hold a coffee with my free hand, so I suppose they have their merits.

KAR

KAR
  • Club Member
  • 159 posts
  • Rick
  • Owns:Mk3 ST-3 250

Book your viewings!

https://www.toyota.c...tm_content=2SL1

• AlexDH likes this

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3996 posts

Ford should make a homologation-special road version of one of these: Fiesta Rally3, 1.5T engine, 4WD, extra aero.

Testy-Fiesta-3-1024x576.jpg

Video https://twitter.com/...996837115199488

https://dirtfish.com/rally/m-sport-on-course-to-deliver-worlds-first-rally3-car/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users