• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

gino666123

gino666123
  • Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • paul
  • Owns:Mk3 ST3 Estate
Hi, had previously a 56 plate st mondeo and when it were parked in my single, garage I could easily walk around the driver's side and toward the front and potentially polish the side or bonnet, crouching room but do-a-able, but now with my st-3 focus(16 plate) estate... no chance couldn't even slip a piece of toilet around, given the same parking position.
Is the focus that much wider??

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

goonarmy

goonarmy
  • Banned
  • 314 posts
  • Dan
  • Owns:MK3 AUTO ST3

Hi, had previously a 56 plate st mondeo and when it were parked in my single, garage I could easily walk around the driver's side and toward the front and potentially polish the side or bonnet, crouching room but do-a-able, but now with my st-3 focus(16 plate) estate... no chance couldn't even slip a piece of toilet around, given the same parking position.
Is the focus that much wider??

sounds like it is unless someone put the garage on the hot wash.
  • Ron240 and Badger like this

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1322 posts
Cars are steadily getting bigger, remember when we thought a sierra was a big car.
Attached File  20191230_193457.jpg   130.54KB   1 downloads
Or how about the Porsche 928, at the time they seemed ginormous but compared to modern stuff they look tiny.
Attached File  FB_IMG_1577734737357.jpg   81.58KB   0 downloads
  • Reggie, Ron240 and gino666123 like this

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 543 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
  • Owns:Focus st3

I had a mondeo st220 for five years and I could get round it while parked in my garage. I now keep my fiesta st180 in the garage and can’t even open the car door to get out. I have to push it into the garage. 

Geebs

Geebs
  • Club Member
  • 280 posts
  • Markinch, Fife
  • Clark
  • Owns:Focus ST

It's something you see now every time you go into a new housing estate, all the cars parked outside the garages. I can't for the life of me, believe that housebuilders just keep on building garages that would only be good for 1980's motors  :facepalm: And why do folk keep buying them, I'd be telling the contractor to fit patio doors instead of a garage door, at least you'd then have more than a glorified shed.

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2564 posts
I can fit mine in the garage but its right over to the left hand side otherwise I can't open the driver door, think its worse if you have a 3 door as the doirs are bigger, luckilly though I have a roller shutter type door so I can reverse in, shut the door and go in the house through the back door.

gino666123

gino666123
  • Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • paul
  • Owns:Mk3 ST3 Estate

quite true ,my wife picked a micra , 2006 model nice and small and now by comparison the 2019 is much bigger than were..same with the mini cooper , nowadays they are beefy , wont be long before you cant fit a modern day car into a newish type garage.

It's something you see now every time you go into a new housing estate, all the cars parked outside the garages. I can't for the life of me, believe that housebuilders just keep on building garages that would only be good for 1980's motors  :facepalm: And why do folk keep buying them, I'd be telling the contractor to fit patio doors instead of a garage door, at least you'd then have more than a glorified shed.

• sareng likes this

Dabhand16

Dabhand16
  • Club Member
  • 5000 posts
  • Dunstable Bedfordshire

I think you will find that the building regs now demand that new build garages are smaller.  In the dreamworld that these people live in they think, that this will ensure people buy smaller cars.

• sareng likes this

sareng

sareng
  • Club Member
  • 51 posts
  • Chickerell. Dorset
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK3 ST3.5

I could get my previous car, MGZS 120, in the garage with no probelm and polish it all round, with the garage door open. Now with my ST I have to fold the mirrors just to get it through the  door, no chance of polishing it inside the garage though. Maybe I should get rid some of my " come in handy one day" stuff though? :grin:

frowma

frowma
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts
  • Martin
  • Owns:Not an ST

I read a review of the Focus estate (can't remember if it was the 3.5 or the 4) and they said it was bigger internally than the Mondeo estate!

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3996 posts
I can park my ST in our garage and it was built in the 1960's.

The width is ok if I park to the left and I stuck some carpet to the wall so I dont hit the driver's door when opening it.

The ST does fill it lengthways though, just like 3-box saloons & a Manta coupe I had in the 80's !

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 237 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Probably the mk4, as the mk3 isnt very big inside, judging by the hatch back, I couldnt comment on the estate though, the MK4 is Supposedly a bigger car anyway, as they are stopping making the Mondeo, and this will be the largest car available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users