• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Barroda

Barroda
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts
  • Daniel
  • Owns:Focus ST Mk4
Hi picked my new ST last Friday and have done just under 200 miles so far and MPG is currently at 19. Coming from a Diesel kuga so a bit of a shock to the system. Driving sensibly so is it just a case of it needs to be run in more. What are other people getting? Thanks all

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

DazW79

DazW79
  • Forum User
  • 329 posts
  • Darren
  • Owns:Mk4 Focus
Im currently on 31mpg, done 195 miles so far.

Barroda

Barroda
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts
  • Daniel
Interesting will reset it tomorrow and see what happens thanks

Ron240

Ron240
  • Forum User
  • 2029 posts
  • Fife
  • Ronnie
  • Owns:Mercedes CLA

Hi picked my new ST last Friday and have done just under 200 miles so far and MPG is currently at 19.

Driving sensibly so is it just a case of it needs to be run in more.

19mpg is ridiculously low if driven sensibly like you say.

Have you reset the fuel computer, because otherwise it will still be continuing the average from however many miles was on the clock before you picked it up.

Its important to start from scratch with a reset to give a much more accurate reading on how your car is currently performing.

alexp999

alexp999
  • Forum User
  • 1389 posts
  • Dorset
  • Alex
Getting 29mpg for my normal usage which is exactly the same as I got with my mk3.5 on same journeys. Currently on 900 miles.

Teescom09

Teescom09
  • Forum User
  • 518 posts
  • BT
  • Owns:Mk4
You may well be doing all this and better so ignore if so. Did you reset the computer when you got it? It will start with a bad average from the factory which will take time to overcome. Where are you driving it? If in town or traffic it will be :censored:. How are you driving it? A lead foot and labouring it will hammer economy. You are running in so ideally light throttle letting it rev between about 1800 and 3k never less in any gear. Ignore the stupid change indicator, it makes changes a few hundred revs too early, labouring which it causes wastes fuel. Mine did 41mpg on its first none stop 80 mile run, averaging 35-36 now on 15-20 mile journeys. Thats doing at least speed limits moderate acceleration on mostly free flowing roads. My mk 3.5 averaged about 36-37 and easily 40 on runs in summer.

Otherwise there's something wrong with it.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 23856 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

You need to give it more time before drawing conclusions about fuel consumption.

It will also help if you measure consumption manually (tankfull to tankfull).

• trevorb likes this

Teescom09

Teescom09
  • Forum User
  • 518 posts
  • BT
Be very surprised if the obc is inaccurate. Add short journeys from cold, less than 10 miles to the cause of poor mpg.

Ryster

Ryster
  • Forum User
  • 278 posts

You may well be doing all this and better so ignore if so. Did you reset the computer when you got it? It will start with a bad average from the factory which will take time to overcome. Where are you driving it? If in town or traffic it will be :censored:. How are you driving it? A lead foot and labouring it will hammer economy. You are running in so ideally light throttle letting it rev between about 1800 and 3k never less in any gear. Ignore the stupid change indicator, it makes changes a few hundred revs too early, labouring which it causes wastes fuel. Mine did 41mpg on its first none stop 80 mile run, averaging 35-36 now on 15-20 mile journeys. Thats doing at least speed limits moderate acceleration on mostly free flowing roads. My mk 3.5 averaged about 36-37 and easily 40 on runs in summer.

Otherwise there's something wrong with it.

Running it in? It's a no from me on how that seems to change my MPG. It's been poor regardless of driving it, averaging 22mpg.

It doesnt bother me though, just fill it up and drive it.

Barroda

Barroda
  • Forum User
  • 6 posts
  • Daniel
Hi thanks for the comments, took the miss to lakeside in Essex about 25 miles from me on ok A roads with not to much traffic and ended up at about 35mpg by the time we got back home. Thanks all

Ron240

Ron240
  • Forum User
  • 2029 posts
  • Fife
  • Ronnie
  • Owns:Mercedes CLA

Hi thanks for the comments, took the miss to lakeside in Essex about 25 miles from me on ok A roads with not to much traffic and ended up at about 35mpg by the time we got back home. Thanks all

I am assuming the Mk.4 has 2 separate fuel computers like the 3.5 had. One of them you can leave as a long term average if you like, but for the other one it is a good idea to reset whenever you want a current reflection on what your car is doing. Most people would do this when filling up, or when starting a specific journey.

From what you have been saying up to this point it would seem like you have never done a reset since picking your car up.

Teescom09

Teescom09
  • Forum User
  • 518 posts
  • BT

Running it in? It's a no from me on how that seems to change my MPG. It's been poor regardless of driving it, averaging 22mpg.

It doesnt bother me though, just fill it up and drive it.

Not running it in? Thats why I never buy these sort of cars second hand ! 22mpg is atrocious and if all the time something is seriously wrong otherwise I wouldnt be getting 13-14 mpg more
  • Ryster likes this

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13228 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

Not running it in? Thats why I never buy these sort of cars second hand ! 22mpg is atrocious and if all the time something is seriously wrong otherwise I wouldnt be getting 13-14 mpg more

I kinda have to concur - I get 22mpg from my C43 on local drives, closer to 30 on motorways. That's a 3.0 V6 biturbo, if you're getting the same consumption as that I'd be concerned.

peter coste

peter coste
  • Club Member
  • 35 posts
  • peter
  • Owns:focus st
My car has done 1500 miles and its on 33 at the moment

Dangerousdriver77

Dangerousdriver77
  • Forum User
  • 101 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Leon

Mine has hit 2200 and it average 33-39 for me. Some of my commute is average speed, but even when hammering it I get 26 mpg. 

Since I have had the Dreamscience 330 bhp map on mine it has definitely improved on average mpg figures, and I've noticed a reasonable difference in mpg when using V-Power against Momentum 99 which is a really poor quality fuel. 

On a run to Dorset, driving to the limits all the way, I hit 42 mpg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users