Ford Focus ST Forum banner

MK3 - Fitted the Steeda clutch spring - what a difference!

20K views 127 replies 37 participants last post by  Wayneo1987 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After picking up my MK3 St-2 last week, i thought the clutch was so snappy and the push back had no feel at all. So i looked into options and found the Steeda clutch spring replacement.

All i can say for MK3 owner is this item is a must. Straight after replacing the spring, the feel was 100% better, you have so much more control from neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd. Changes are much smoother and the driving experience vastly improved.

relatively cheap mod but has made the world of difference, plus its only a 5 min install

Here is a little install guide by a red neck :lol:

Circuit component Font Electronic component Audio equipment Cable

Attachments

See less See more
1 1
#6 ·
@RocketRossUK Does it actually make a lot better feel with clutch pedal?

Daz
Well i came from a MK6 golf gti, which had a really nice clutch feel. I nearly didnt buy the ST because of how jerky the last third of clutch travel felt. A day into ownership i searched and found this. Its still not as smooth as the GTI but it made a big difference.

The set off in 1st and 1st to second is much more smooth now and way less jerky. The main reason is that the clutch travel doesnt fight you as much, therefore is nicer on you calf muscle as well. Worth £20 all day

#7 ·
Well i came from a MK6 golf gti, which had a really nice clutch feel. I nearly didnt buy the ST because of how jerky the last third of clutch travel felt. A day into ownership i searched and found this. Its still not as smooth as the GTI but it made a big difference.

The set off in 1st and 1st to second is much more smooth now and way less jerky. The main reason is that the clutch travel doesnt fight you as much, therefore is nicer on you calf muscle as well. Worth £20 all day
Cheers for the info Ross, appreciate it.

I'll have to get one ordered.

Daz

#12 ·
Yeah, £9 and it had a UPS symbol although I have recieved the tracking email and it says its posted by 'Royal Mail 24 Signature Required'
Cheers Matt, can't decide whether this is worth £30, although I know what Ross means when he said the clutch is vague.

Please let me know if you too are impressed by the change.

Regards,

Steve

#13 ·
Cheers Matt, can't decide whether this is worth £30, although I know what Ross means when he said the clutch is vague.

Please let me know if you too are impressed by the change.

Regards,

Steve
I know what you mean @Srea064, £29 sounds a lot for a spring. I nearly didnt buy it. But i though im going to own this car for 3-4 years, so at £10 a year to have an improved daily driving experience its a no brainer for me. I have spunked £30 on way more daft stuff than this :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plus the stock clutch spring is just awful, i have no idea how it passed the test

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
The way I separated the perch was as follows:-

- Stand two house Bricks or similar on their ends side by side.
- Move the Bricks apart so that there is a gap large enough for the two 'Tangs' on the 'Perch' to rest, one on each Brick.
- The rest of the 'Perch' should now be between the Bricks, in other words supported off the floor.
- The 'Perch' cap with the two 'Tangs' is now facing you, notice the 'Hole' in the centre?
- Get a 'Drill Bit' or similar, I used a large Philips screwdriver to be honest, large enough to fit snugly into the hole.
- If using a 'Drill Bit' insert backwards, bit normally put into the Drill Chuck' first in other words.
- Now tap the inserted item with a 'Small Hammer'.

As the 'Perch' is supported off the floor there is enough room for the spring and clipped shaft to travel backwards and separate nicely.

Job done.

Hope this helps?

Example pic below...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.