[IMPORTANT] Broken Images - New Posting Policy - Club News | Website Updates - Focus ST Owners Club

Broken Images - New Posting Policy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22787 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

The club has been receiving lots of complaints about threads containing broken images.

In some cases this is just an irritation, but in many others (how-to features for example) it completely destroys the thread.

The majority of these problems have been caused by a single external image hosting organisation, Photobucket.

Photobucket.com has recently changed its terms of service for free users on their platform. As of 20th June 2017, images hosted by Photobucket and shared on STOC, or any other third party site, will no longer appear. As a result, you may notice a higher amount of broken images on the forum.
More information on the change and what it means for Photobucket users can be found below.
Photobucket Terms of Use http://photobucket.com/terms

Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of members posting images to support their threads use the image hosting facility provided by the club. These are unlikely to ever become an issue in the future.

For the few that use other host organisations, such as Photobucket, there is either a real problem now, or the potential for a problem in the future because we have absolutely no control over external organisations.

Accordingly, and in order to minimise the possibility of broken (image) threads in the future, staff will now be applying a new club policy that EXTERNAL IMAGE HOSTING SHALL NOT BE USED.

Although this policy change will not apply retrospectively, if you have previously posted images using Photobucket, and you find they are now broken, it would be helpful if you could edit the relevant post/thread by uploading the images directly to STOC. Staff will assist you with this if you run into any difficulty.

• Clive, Stevieb, Liquidfox and 2 others like this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 2896 posts

Photobucket really have screwed the internet and themselves. I'm going to slowly start migrating my stuff to STOC.

• Alb likes this

JamieM

JamieM
  • Forum User
  • 2384 posts
Does this apply to Flickr (google product)?

If that's the case what are your plans for threads containing images linked externally to the likes of Flickr should the user not plan on re-linking their entire thread?

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3954 posts
What about photo's from Twitter ?

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22787 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

We aren't forcing anything retrospectively although I'd like to think that owners of broken threads will want to fix them.

Going forward, STOC itself is the only acceptable hoster of images.

JamieM

JamieM
  • Forum User
  • 2384 posts
Ok Alb,

Harsh blow that shoddy at best* hosting site has dealt.

Worst case scenario..

What happens if you loose your photo backups pc/phone/ etc and choose not to pay to be a member the the following year? Do you loose access to your progress thread all it's content and the photos belong to Focusstoc? Or is there a period of grace should you need to re-coup it all at this point?

PaulG

PaulG
  • Club Member
  • 2896 posts

If you look at the T&Cs of ALL external hosting providers, they state that you must not use them for direct linking. We all do though (myself included). Photobucket decided to enforce it, and put a comedy cost on it as well - to the point that others may well follow their lead.

To be honest, I'm not sure what choice STOC have.

I'll start updating my links on here, and slowly delete stuff from photobucket.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22787 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

Ok Alb,

Harsh blow that shoddy at best* hosting site has dealt.

Worst case scenario..

What happens if you loose your photo backups pc/phone/ etc and choose not to pay to be a member the the following year? Do you loose access to your progress thread all it's content and the photos belong to Focusstoc? Or is there a period of grace should you need to re-coup it all at this point?

Are you talking about a scenario where the only copy of a given picture is held here on STOC?

I retain my original pictures on my own PC, and these are backed up on a regular basis so there would have to be two independent failures before you ever got into that position.

As far as the wider issue of "member" access to technical content is concerned, this will lapse if and when membership lapses even if it means you can no longer see a thread you created.

This shouldn't be an issue though because you will presumably know that you intend to cease membership before you do it :lol:

NigelStap

NigelStap
  • Club Member
  • 3843 posts
  • Norwich
  • Nigel
  • Owns:ST225
If your only copy of a picture is on STOC then I can only suggest you get taking backup copies now!

I will re edit my few threads.

Liquidfox

Liquidfox
  • Forum User
  • 12607 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Martin
  • Owns:F30 335d

Wow, I'd heard that PB were really shooting themselves in the foot but I never realised it was to this extent. If you want to hotlink your images you now have to pay $400 A YEAR?! Who's clever idea was that one, they're basically done for! Who's going to pay $60 a year to host photos with PB when you can pay the likes of Google £16 per year to host 100GB of absolutely whatever you want?

JamieM

JamieM
  • Forum User
  • 2384 posts

Are you talking about a scenario where the only copy of a given picture is held here on STOC?
I retain my original pictures on my own PC, and these are backed up on a regular basis so there would have to be two independent failures before you ever got into that position.
As far as the wider issue of "member" access to technical content is concerned, this will lapse if and when membership lapses even if it means you can no longer see a thread you created.
This shouldn't be an issue though because you will presumably know that you intend to cease membership before you do it :lol:

I was indeed, I don't have that issue but some may not hold backups that's what I was thinking but I guess it's down to them.

+ true on the last part unless you forget if you don't use the site for a while but again that's down to the person lol.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22787 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb

Remember also that STOC reduces the size of images to a maximum of 1600x1200 pixels so the quality of the original will almost certainly be better.

JamieM

JamieM
  • Forum User
  • 2384 posts

Remember also that STOC reduces the size of images to a maximum of 1600x1200 pixels so the quality of the original will almost certainly be better.

Yep that's why I chose to use Flickr. You might want to remove the ability to code images in because some might find it hard to kick the habit lol.

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3954 posts

As someone who has always used Photobucket (but now Imgur),  how do I now post an image on the Forum ?

Phil

Phil
  • Club Staff
  • 13924 posts
  • London
  • phil
  • Owns:None

As someone who has always used Photobucket (but now Imgur),  how do I now post an image on the Forum ?

When you add a post select more post options then click on select file and once the file loads click the add to post.

Job done.

The site should resize your image automatically, if not you might have to resize your pics using an app

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IMPORTANT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users