absolutely disgusted with sky insurance

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ollie-st3

ollie-st3
  • Forum User
  • 974 posts

my renewal came through and my car was up for sale. i told sky insurance this and said i only wanted the insurance for about a month. i asked if id be better paying monthly or paying for the year and getting a refund when i cancel, i was assured it would be better to pay it all in one go and get a refund. i didn't have quite enough money to do it and they said i could do it over 2 installments. a total of £600.

after about 3 weeks i phoned up and decided to change my policy to 3rd party fire and theft as i wasn't driving the car. they said this would bring my second installment down to £190 which i was happy with, this was due today.

my car sold on Saturday evening so today i phoned up to cancel. i was told i was due a refund of £240 which i was happy with as they hadn't yet taken the second installment. a few hours later i get a call and they tell my that because i had an outstanding payment they had calculated my refund wrong. they said im now only due £30.

so basically it has cost me £270 to insure my st for 1 month when i was quoted only £600 for 12 months!!!

needless to say i am fuming, really don't know how i never lost it with the girl on the phone!! im currently waiting for a call from her manager!

in other words: STEER WELL CLEAR OF SKY INSURANCE 

• Geordie83 likes this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

RobbieV

RobbieV
  • Forum User
  • 350 posts
  • Basingstoke
  • Rob
  • Owns:ST225

Robbin :censored: !

• goonarmy likes this

garyjake

garyjake
  • Forum User
  • 252 posts
  • gary
  • Owns:185Diesel

sorry to hear this mate but you need to wise up a touch or this wont be the last time you have ya pants pulled down in life...even if premium was slightly higher to pay monthly it would of been you in control of the situation not the insurance company after getting 6 months money up front!  

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13224 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

I think it's a little early for name calling when you're still talking to them, it may well be an honest mistake somewhere.

• Paulted likes this

Dennis

Dennis
  • Forum User
  • 11382 posts
  • Sheffield
Assuming this was a renewal, the standard for cancelling a policy in a 2nd of subsequent year is on a pro rata basis rather than short period rates therefore if only 1 months cover used you would get 11/12ths back.

However you paid via instalments and despite the post above, it does not put you in control it just means you also pay interest on the loan/premium etc, then you may find under the brokers terms and conditions they will charge you any loss of their commission (the insurer claws back), the renewal will also have included a decent admin charge (say £50) that you don't get back, and an admin charge for cancelling (probably another £50).

This all results in much less than 11/12ths back, nb this is not just for sky, most brokers work this way (big admin fees for doing what they used to do for free to get/retain business etc as well as other revenue streams) since the FSA told them they could in 2004

mikester

mikester
  • Forum User
  • 182 posts
  • Derby
  • Mike
  • Owns:Focus ST-3

old post but why on earth would you give them all your money up front thus allowing them to earn interest off your hard earned when you could be earning the interest given you knew you'd only be with them for a month or so.

I've been with sky insurance before and they were spot on, I would have stayed with them if they were more competitive but that's the game with insurance, I'm sure I'll be back with them at some point, if not Adrian Flux or Chris Knott, seems to go in a cycle and never not been with any of the three in the last 7 years!!

chrissymk6

chrissymk6
  • Forum User
  • 952 posts
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Chris

old post but why on earth would you give them all your money up front thus allowing them to earn interest off your hard earned when you could be earning the interest given you knew you'd only be with them for a month or so.

I've been with sky insurance before and they were spot on, I would have stayed with them if they were more competitive but that's the game with insurance, I'm sure I'll be back with them at some point, if not Adrian Flux or Chris Knott, seems to go in a cycle and never not been with any of the three in the last 7 years!!

I'm due for renewal soon, do they post or email you the renewal? 

mikester

mikester
  • Forum User
  • 182 posts
  • Derby
  • Mike
  • Owns:Focus ST-3

I'm due for renewal soon, do they post or email you the renewal? 

All have wrote to me followed by email as well, read the letter/email and make sure they aren't going to auto-renew as this seems to be common place now

• chrissymk6 likes this

chrissymk6

chrissymk6
  • Forum User
  • 952 posts
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Chris

Cheers fella @mikester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users