- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Jamestaz01

Jamestaz01
  • Forum User
  • 3 posts
  • James
Seems a silly question to ask as i know a sports car such as the ST looks stupid with a tow bar but i have fallen for the beauty/beast of the focus ST and would love one the only problem is that i go away a few time a year with my kids and family and we tow a trailer, i just like to know i hear they do removable tow bars now and can you get one for the ST? i understand the under body isnt sufficient for a tow bar can anyone please advise me on this issue before i buy a Beast

Sam330

Sam330
  • Forum User
  • 1129 posts
  • Birmingham
I have asked the same question and its not do-able due to the exhaust, or its not legal anyway. I have seen one with a towbar before but they might have just been using it as a bike carrier.

Gixermark

Gixermark
  • Forum User
  • 225 posts
  • Hereford, UK

I have asked the same question and its not do-able due to the exhaust, or its not legal anyway. I have seen one with a towbar before but they might have just been using it as a bike carrier.

TOTAL Rubbish ! :FADH: ........... I have a TT tow bar ( Tow with Trust ).........a removeable one on mine! The exhaust is nowhere near ANY of the towbar, bags of room!

If I get the chance I will add photos,

I have owned loads of cars in the past ( BM's etc etc ) & can honestly say this is the best fitting removeable one EVER! When the swan neck is off, you will NOT be able to see any of the towbar as the electrics swing back up under the car when not in use. Hidden completly ( You MUST choose out of the 2 they do ! )

TT are a very well known UK make. I contacted their R&D before purchase & the only reason people think they are not OK is they are not Homalgamated! Can't explain but anyway, they are only covered upto about 1550kgs if my memory serves right. Had mine fitted in May for towing a RIB boat and I put a Thule bike rack on for my bikes.

So, YES YOU CAN FIT A TOW BAR TO AN ST :bleh: ( may void your warranty although I had work carried out by Ford & nowt was said! )

:bye:

Photo's as promised :
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marcellus

Marcellus

Club Administrator

• Administrator
  • 11884 posts
  • Northamptonshire
If a car isn't spec'd my the manufactuer to be able to tow does this mean that if you were and then there were an issue you're in the mire?

Mick-ST

Mick-ST
  • Club Member
  • 1889 posts
  • Washington
  • Michael
  • Owns:ST250
Clutches on the ST are a known weakness anyway. Surely by towing anything of a decent size / weight would kill it even quicker?

Sam330

Sam330
  • Forum User
  • 1129 posts
  • Birmingham
Alright mr know it all!! Handy to know though, I can look at getting a speed boat again

Scully

Scully
  • Forum User
  • 1437 posts
  • Bristol
  • Rich
Wouldn't that invalidate your insurance? Posted Image

RichieST

RichieST
  • Forum User
  • 732 posts
  • North Wiltshire
  • Richie
are they type approved for towing? If not then it's not legal..

davidgovier

davidgovier
  • Club Member
  • 2453 posts
  • Doncaster
  • David
  • Owns:ST225
If you want to tow something get a Mondeo..

Towbars on an ST are just wrong.

Also i agree you might be able to fit one, but you are asking for trouble from insurance companies.. :bleh:

Rich

Rich

Management Team

• Administrator
  • 13467 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rich
  • Owns:None
As has been previously hinted, the ST has no type approval for towing.

Therefore any time that you do tow something you are operating the car outside of its approval unless you have arranged an SVA or similar through VOSA.

Please be aware that if you are involved in an accident whilst towing it is highly likely that your insurance company will want nothing to do with it.

999Lee

999Lee
  • Forum User
  • 531 posts
There's a ST round my neck of the woods that has one so it can be done. It looks like a swan-neck type like the one pictured above

Gixermark

Gixermark
  • Forum User
  • 225 posts
  • Hereford, UK

Alright mr know it all!! Handy to know though, I can look at getting a speed boat again

That's a real pleasant reply...!!!!!

The thread asked if it's possible to fit a towbar to an ST, you said it isn't, well it is as my ST-3 clearly shows!

I'm well aware re the legalities etc + insurance. For those who know about towing weights, I have put the 1550kg recommended allowable tow weight earlier..this equates to a very small 2 / 4 birth caravan.
As I have no intention of towing a van, purely had it fitted to tow a boat / bike rack, small trailer & the tow bar will be completely removed prior to selling the car. My insurance company have been informed it is fitted & I know the risk should I have an accident.

I'm 44 years old, have driven 44 ton double deck artics since leaving the Paras 15 years ago so I know more than enough re towing etc!

Rich

Rich

Management Team

• Administrator
  • 13467 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Rich
  • Owns:None

My insurance company have been informed it is fitted & I know the risk should I have an accident.

I'm intrigued, what was their stance on you fitting one?

Gixermark

Gixermark
  • Forum User
  • 225 posts
  • Hereford, UK

I'm intrigued, what was their stance on you fitting one?

They didn't say a thing! I have had to add all my mods being fitted this weekend and confirmed all, including the tow bar previously added. So as far as I'm concerned it is a UK manufactured tow bar fitted by a reputable towbar dealer ( I know the risk if any I am taking ) and as it is purely for the boat, bike rack & occasional small trailer it really isn't a concern to me.
It is down to the individual concerned & what they intend to use it for, they take the risk.
The torque is unreal & it tows like a dream, also, despite what others think, I have a White 5 door ST-3 & it looks the dogs when all fitted.

As the original thread asked & I have prooved, a tow bar can be fitted at the owners own risk!

Scully

Scully
  • Forum User
  • 1437 posts
  • Bristol
  • Rich
Legally?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users