• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Saddler79

Saddler79
  • Club Member
  • 561 posts
  • Dave
  • Owns:ST225
Well today and for no obvious reason my key fob has started to play up. I was in and out the car all morning and all was fine until I noticed it would only unlock or lock the car intermittently. Then when i went to start (clutch down, fob in the car with me, push button) I had a key not detected error message. The battery is only 2 weeks old and ive never had any problems with it. Ive not got any water in the fob and havent damaged it. (Car is FL 2008 plate)

Ive noticed there is a slot for the key beneath a plastic cover in the tradtional ignition position however when trying to turn the key it is fixed and wont budge. Any ideas people? is my only option to take the key fob to ford for a fix?

Ive managed to get the car started a couple of times, especially when I hold the fob closer to the ignition, however im getting an intermittent 'key is outside' warning message. I imagine it couldnt due to safety, but can the car immobilise whilst in motion if it suddenly detects the key no longer? Had me parnoid all afternoon.

Artermis

Artermis
  • Forum User
  • 480 posts
  • Grimsby / Cleethorpes
  • Ben
try your second key to see if it is the key or the car that is playing up.

also check owners manual there is a bit in there about if your car won't detect the key.

Redheugh

Redheugh
  • Forum User
  • 403 posts
  • WhoamI
  • Owns:None
Could be key fob battery. I think if you put your key in the ignition it should allow you to start the car. I don't think they turn.

I had key not detected, turned out to be the chip in the key.

Saddler79

Saddler79
  • Club Member
  • 561 posts
  • Dave
Dont think its fob battery ian. Not been long at all since I put a new one on. So your saying put key in ignition slot (without turning), clutch down and press power button it will start?
  • dstech likes this

Redheugh

Redheugh
  • Forum User
  • 403 posts
  • WhoamI

Dont think its fob battery ian. Not been long at all since I put a new one on. So your saying put key in ignition slot (without turning), clutch down and press power button it will start?

I think it will mate, please don't shoot me if it don't.

Liquidfox

Liquidfox
  • Club Member
  • 10,607 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Martin

especially when I hold the fob closer to the ignition

Isn't that just co-incidence as the part that detects the key is in the boot?

Redheugh

Redheugh
  • Forum User
  • 403 posts
  • WhoamI

Isn't that just co-incidence as the part that detects the key is in the boot?

When the chip in one of my keys broke, I could start the car by holding the key directly on the ignition or on top of the dashboard above the dials. Any further away it would not work.

Liquidfox

Liquidfox
  • Club Member
  • 10,607 posts
  • Newcastle
  • Martin

When the chip in one of my keys broke, I could start the car by holding the key directly on the ignition or on top of the dashboard above the dials. Any further away it would not work.

Ah well, the boot one may just be for keyless entry.

Saddler79

Saddler79
  • Club Member
  • 561 posts
  • Dave

I think it will mate, please don't shoot me if it don't.

Ok, not shooting just maybe mild abuse then?! :D I'll try that in a bit and let you know. The guy at ford today told me to hold it closer to the ignition position. He also told me to instantly bring it in without even attempting to try a few things first. It was after the phone call to him I got it started off my own back!!
  • Redheugh likes this

Karl

Karl
  • Club Staff
  • 1,932 posts
  • Alpha Quadrant
  • Karl
I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few wks back,
It just kept saying " key outside car" I kept shouting at it " no it bloody well isn't , it's here you stupid car " :lol:
After a few more try's....20 to 30 it started!

When I got home I tried my spare fob & that worked fine, so I thought ok, it's the fob that's gone faulty,
The next day I tried the " faulty" fob & it worked perfectly & has done since!

I know it wasn't the battery as I had changed that a month or so earlier, so I am at a loss as to what happened,

The only thing I wondered that could have been to blame was that the car was parked facing the sun for hours on a very hot day & inside the cabin was like an oven, so maybe a temperature related issue with the receiver or the fob!

Ryan

Ryan

Captain Slow

• Administrator
  • 15,985 posts
  • Worthing, West Sussex
  • Mervin J Minky
Mine does it from time to time with the key free, must be a full moon or something! A few months ago I was getting the "key fob battery low" message for a few days and then nothing, been fine ever since :unsure: . Had my fair share of "passive key not detected" messages to over the years.

Poxy cars :lol:

locke

locke
  • Club Member
  • 614 posts
it may be electrical interferance push it down the road and try it my work
moblie phone mast or police mast etc

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Club Member
  • 2,519 posts
  • North Norfolk
  • keith
Irronic considering keyless ignition helps theives steal your car, but stops you driving it.

6oclockpimms

6oclockpimms
  • Forum User
  • 61 posts
  • Dickie
A while ago I had something of a strange fault, the keyless was useless as it wouldn't lock, either throught the fob or the "door buttons". Tracked it down to the remote for the house alarm constantly transmitting a message. Thank goodness for LED's. Reset the house alarm remote and all was good, the house remote must be powerfull cos I keep the 2 separate.

daz-st

daz-st
  • Club Member
  • 1,183 posts
  • Manchester
  • Darren
Hope you get it sort pal,

I had a horrid time with full keyless on a vx twintop and never again do i want it.
It started failing engine wouldn't start, stop, doors wouldn't lock,unlock, just beeping no key on screen

Lucky it was still under warranty but they replaced fobs, reciever unit, cim god knows how many sensors and it still did it
They just couldn't solve It and just kept throwing parts at it.

In he end i was just sick to death with it and px the car hoping they didn't pick up on it which they didn't for my ST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users