• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

naughtyem0162

naughtyem0162
  • Forum User
  • 124 posts
  • lee
  • Owns:ST225
I have a 2009 st2 a message has come up the battery in the key is low how do i change it ?

Dohboy78

Dohboy78
  • Forum User
  • 904 posts
  • North Shields
  • Tom
  • Owns:None
Easy... Take the metal key out... Gently split the key in two... One half has the battery in it.
Pop it out.. Put new one in!

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 668 posts
  • warwickshire
Lee, I think there is a time limit on from when you take old one out to placing new one in, so have new batt to hand before you take old one out Sorry I cannot refer to my handbook but there is something in there)

Ninky Nonk

Ninky Nonk
  • Club Member
  • 3285 posts
there is a time limit and as soon as you split the key fob open the battery is disconnected so as said above, have the new battery to hand. I bought some from amazon, 12 for £2.70 for panasonic ones i think it was, and ford wanted £9 for one to do it on the service!

Alb

Alb

RS Defector

• Club Staff
  • 12511 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
Procedure is in the owners handbook:
Attached File  Keyfob Battery.pdf   521.03KB   220 downloads
  • SteveT likes this

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 668 posts
  • warwickshire
Sorry to jump this thread.
Alb, I now have 2011 Mondeo Sport. Basically the Mondeo H/Book says same as the pdf you gave us.
But, the Mondeo book does not tell me how to reprogramme a remote control WITHOUT a folding key (The type I have with power start/stop button) and no ignition barrel.
IIRC the ST book has the info in I want. If it has can you do me a pdf please, thanks' Trevor B

Saddler79

Saddler79
  • Club Member
  • 534 posts
  • Dave

Sorry to jump this thread.
Alb, I now have 2011 Mondeo Sport. Basically the Mondeo H/Book says same as the pdf you gave us.
But, the Mondeo book does not tell me how to reprogramme a remote control WITHOUT a folding key (The type I have with power start/stop button) and no ignition barrel.
IIRC the ST book has the info in I want. If it has can you do me a pdf please, thanks' Trevor B

Yep I need the same advice if anybody has got it please. My ST has the power start up button and no folding key. My spare key doesnt work at all and ive put a new battery in so I need to programme it to the car. if I lose my main key I'm screwed. I'm sure ford would charge me to do this and sounds like an easy task I could do in 5 mins if I had the info.

Alb

Alb

RS Defector

• Club Staff
  • 12511 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
Here's the programming section:
Attached File  Key Programming.pdf   520.21KB   104 downloads

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 668 posts
  • warwickshire
Thanks for the download Alb but if I am reading it right there is nothing in there that applies to my set up.
I have no ignition barrel on my car to put a key into - just like the facelift ST (praps there is nothing in the ST H/book either)

Saddler79

Saddler79
  • Club Member
  • 534 posts
  • Dave

Thanks for the download Alb but if I am reading it right there is nothing in there that applies to my set up.
I have no ignition barrel on my car to put a key into - just like the facelift ST (praps there is nothing in the ST H/book either)

Ive got exactly the same issue trevor. No ignition barrell, just the push button start up. Ive had a look round google searching but struggling and it will pain me to pay ford for a job that I bet is simple. I will keep looking and let you know, and if you do the same. I came so close to accidentally dropping my keys down a drain in a car park the other week it wasnt even funny!! Gotta get my spare key working.

Alb

Alb

RS Defector

• Club Staff
  • 12511 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
I thought that the barrel was hidden behind a plastic cover.
Remove that and the emergency key can be used to start the engine.

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 668 posts
  • warwickshire
Cheers Alb. I never thought of that for also reprogramming the key. I will have a look tomorrow and flick the plasic cover off on the side of the steering column. Will let you know.

Saddler79

Saddler79
  • Club Member
  • 534 posts
  • Dave

I thought that the barrel was hidden behind a plastic cover.
Remove that and the emergency key can be used to start the engine.

Lol, nice one Alb. Low and behold remove the plastic cover and theres a nice slot for the key. Cant believe I didnt think to look under there but thought it was a permanent fitting. :D .... now for programming that fob.

altyc282

altyc282
  • Forum User
  • 1 posts
  • chris
Even with the cover off the barrel is rigid and cant be turned, anyone got another solution :-/

GARETHED30

GARETHED30
  • Forum User
  • 1 posts
  • GARETH

Hi, I recently bought an ST3 with the same problem but luckily for me it was my spare key. After many hours of searching you cannot programme this fob yourself as like you say the ignition barrel does not turn. Basically you have 20 seconds to replace the battery in the key fob, if you don't then you need to take it to Ford and yes you've guessed it they want £110 to re-programme it (rip off).

By the look at it you can re-programme it via the data port so maybe an auto electrician with the right equipment would charge less as it should only take about 10 minutes. Let me know if you have any luck

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users